12 Fictional Prompts For Anyone Who Might Be Stuck.
Who here feels like sometimes they used up every ounce of imagination? This girl here.
I’ve been working on the same novel for about ten years now. While I love my plot and believe there is so much magic to it, there are still many gaps and holes that need to be filled and sometimes having endless possibilities can be overwhelming.
But there’s actually beauty in that. The beauty of fiction writing is that there are endless possibilities. It’s that leap where one idea can turn into something completely different, a make believe world can instantly emerge, and an opportunity for your mind to explore places where everyday life can not take you.
What helped me through this creative process was reading some creative prompts online to get my mind going. While I’m molding and shaping my novel for what is it, here are 13 fictional prompts that might spark an idea in your current work.
1. A group of scientists discovers a shipwreck at the bottom of the ocean. After exploring the depths of the ocean, a time portal opens. The group is transferred back in time and find themselves abroad the ship.
2. Every day you have a dream about someone else’s life. Now, your mission is to find that person before it’s too late.
3. You were given 90 days to convince five random strangers that the world is coming to an end. These five strangers are scattered across the world — each carrying a piece to a bigger puzzle as to why the world has to end.
4. The cure for a disease is delivered to your doorstep. The disease isn’t set to infect Earth for another 100 years. How will one save the world?
5. A stranger arrives at a new town. The town has been hidden for centuries because of an unbroken curse.
6. Meet the girl who has the singing voice of every musician in the world. She instantly becomes famous and then one day loses her voice altogether.
7. You go on a road trip and come across a hotel in the middle of nowhere. After checking in for the night, you realize that there are no doors and just endless rooms with no escape.
8. An envelope with a letter is delivered to you every single day for a whole year. The envelope only has your name. What do the letters say?
9. Meet the boy who has the power to predict every historical event that is about to happen and has to happen for the world to function. He then falls in love with the girl who is on a mission from preventing these historical events from unfolding because of her strong beliefs.
10. Every night an elderly man goes to a school auditorium so he can play the piano. There hasn’t been a night he skipped his ritual and always carries an old photograph of his wife with him.
11. You find a book of all the lies you ever told. What would be on the last page?
12. There’s been a discovery of another world out there also called Earth. Everyone who lives there is a replica of every single human being living on the planet. The only difference is, they are living a life of every big decision we didn’t make.